Apr 10, 2007

A message from a tree

I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do.
Willa Cather (1873-1947) O Pioneers~ 1913

The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The wonder is that we can see these trees and not wonder more.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


I think I shall never see

A poem as lovely as a tree,

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.

Joyce Kilmer 1886-1918, Trees


Today, as I ran some errands I noticed the saddest tree that I have ever seen.

It was born to be a majestic silvery pine, it had seen a lot of life and perhaps many changes in its surroundings, during its God given life. I venture to say it was at least 40 years old, if not more and its tippity-top and lower trunk were perfectly straight. However, it's girth bowed to the left and then it tried to bend back as it originally grew, somehow it failed and now the tree appeared to be greatly marred. Around its roots lay all the trash the wind could hold, it had blown from the parking lot across the street and reached its destiny at the foot of this crippled pine. I think somehow this mighty tree had grown curious as to what lay across the street, as it grew it began to lean towards where the 'action' was. Behind this giant lay a field of gold, mingled with the debry of tossed, no longer wanted items, that had managed to slip from someones fingers or perhaps was carelessy dropped.

How often that happens in this world we live in, we forget the direction we were made to grow in, we fail to aim straight at the purpose and plan God has for our lives~we bend and twist in our own desires and fail to become who God destined us to be. We become careless and fall into the trap of the world.

Lord, help me to not sway to the right or the left, bowing or straining to reach all this world has to offer, but set my path to bring you honor.

How few people walk in your ways, stay rooted and established in your word and your desires. There are so many who are spiritually dead or sleeping. Father, we need your help to grow from faith to faith and glory to glory. Make straight our way, helping us to fix our lives, our minds, our hearts (mind, body, soul and spirit) on You.

The godly are like trees that bear life giving fruit, and those who save lives are wise. Proverbs 11:30

A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God shaped life is a flourishing tree. Proverbs 11: 28 (The Message)

Blessed are those who trust in the Lord. They are like trees

planted along a riverbank with roots that reach deep into the

water. Such trees are not bothered by heat or worried by

months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they go right

on producing delicious fruit.

Jeremiah 17:7-8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Posted by Janice Campbell
I love trees as well. Maybe it's the season to write about them or think about them, for I posted my current favorite tree photo on my blog (http://www.Janice-Campbell.com) today. There's something about the strength and beauty of a tree that just seems to exemplify the strength and beauty of God's love.

Anonymous said...

The Jeremiah verse you have is one of my favorites. I memorized it when I was going through a time when I felt I was doing everything "right" yet just wasn't feeling God's presence or seeing any fruit from my efforts to be in His word and spend time in prayer. It brought me comfort that it was only for a time- a month of drought that kept me digging my roots in deeper.

I appreciate your love of trees! I think one of my favorite places to be is in the woods on a sunny day, seeing the sun shine down through the branches.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin