Nov 28, 2008

Stitching up some love

Off to Ethiopia...a little handmade love
We love lavender...so we thought *Little Beauty* would like some in the bunny we're sending her.

I made this out of a piece of old flannel that I got at the thrift store, so soft and so different than any flannel I've seen. Soft, soft, soft.

1/4 inch seam allowance for all parts.

The bunny is made with:
1/4 yard of flannel,
I cut up an outgrown soft pair of footy pj's that were outgrown for the pink parts-(fleece)

  • one body...kind of a snowman shape (a head body)
  • 2 ears, 2 arms, 2 legs (these are sewn first right sides together, with a 1 1/2 in opening left,
take one body and on the right side of the fabric pin all the parts on...so they point in over the middle of the bunny. Be careful in lining them up so that you don't sew them to each other.

Lay the other body part over the first half (the one with all of the legs, arms, and ears attached to it) right sides facing each other. Pin together. Stitch leaving an opening to turn. Clip v's into any curved part, being careful not to clip into your stitches.

Turn your bunny right side out and stuff all parts. I stuffed the belly with stuffing and a little rectangle that contained lavender...to make it smell sweet. After all we want a calm baby.

After stuffing to your desired fullness. Hand sew all the 1 1/2 inch openings closed using a thread that matches your fabric. Grab some embroidery floss and create your face.

Last minute I decide he needed a tail, so I attached a piece of pink fleece from the pj's...I cut two pieces out, stuffed it and hand sewed it on to the backside for a cute little cottontail.

We prayed over ours and ask God that He'd watch over both *Little Beauty* and her first toy until He could bring us together.

We also sent a chenille blanket and a photo album of us, so she could begin the process of bonding.

Hopefully in January we will have our first pictures of us holding her. Until then, we continue to pray and believe, can't wait to bring them both HOME!










Bunny practices his job with the wee ones baby doll.













7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very cute! I would have never even thought of stuffing lavender in there! Great idea!!

And I'm with you, I can't wait to see pictures of you all together!

Jenni said...

So sweet! I know Bunny will be well loved by your Little Beauty. I'm looking so forward to seeing you all together!

Lindsay-ann said...

I am sure Little Beauty will love Little Bunny so much. What a great idea to send her a toy to love. I am sure she will treasure it forever.
Best Wishes
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Cute. Love the embroidered face. I hope it's her fave.

Duckygirl said...

So clever and sweet! I'm looking forward to the pic's too. January is so soon I bet you are all so excited!!

-Laura

javamamma said...

Adorable! Ohhh, January is close. (though probably not close enough for you!) Can't wait to see pictures of your new family member.

randi said...

This is so cute, Kimmie! I can't wait to see your little one snuggling with her new toy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin