Dec 28, 2009

Wise Word Monday

Some thoughts on contentment:
As I wandered into the mall for the first time in perhaps 2 years, my spirit was flooded by the spirit of discontentment that filled the area. My two big girls and I went in to look for some clothes for our coming Princess Sweetness, but were surrounded by swarms of grumbling people, both young and old. It was the afternoon after Christmas and instead of joy we found discontentment.
Contentment is not based on what you have or what you get on any given day; it is based on how you choose to view life. Contentment you see is an issue of the heart.
No matter what place we are currently in, whether a high place or a very low place, we get to choose whether we will *stay* in contentment. You see it is a choice we can make everyday, it is one that we can choose for the coming New Year. Or we can choose the pity-party route, discontentment opens the door of self-pity.
A great verse to memorize and apply is one that Paul spoke;
"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." (Philippians 4:11)
then the second clue Paul gives us in emptying our selfish hearts to self-pity is found in verses 12-13~
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."
With God and the Holy Spirit that is given to us at our salvation, we can get through whatever life brings. And the great news is we can walk it out with contentment, because as Believers and followers of Christ, we know that ALL things work together for our good.
Let's fix our eyes and hearts on Him, after all our Hope is in Him!
If you don't know Him and would like to...send me a note and we'll talk. My email is in the sidebar of this ole' blog!

8 comments:

Mindy said...

Great discernment, Kimmie. I love your simple definition of contentment as a VIEW of our state of life through our heart. It also made me think of I Timothy 6:6"But godliness with contentment is of great gain." We're not gaining material things, but spiritual things. Thanks for the great challenge as we look to a new year.

Renee said...

Such a good word. I needed to hear this today. May God bless you!

Kim said...

Kimmie,
Thanks for posting this. Being content is a daily decision for me. In fact, I just journaled about my need to keep an eternal perspective and be content whatever the circumstances. God is good and never ceases to amaze me with the unexpected ways in which he uses to teach, guide and affirm the heart issues.

Ron & Maria said...

ewwww to the mall! don't like that place - it's filled with too much .... yea, discontentment.... a great place to pray for people. Our church was doing a ministry at one time where they would just go and walk the mall stopping at different places to pray for the groups of people.... maybe the only reason to go to the mall....

What size / height / weight is your princess?

Maria

Kimmie said...

Hi Maria;

We were told in Aug. that she was 4' 10 inches (which is an inch taller than Princess Sunshine...blonde and 10- at opur house). She appears to be tinier...so we are just picking things that our 10 year old fits into, with room for longer arms and legs. Size 12-14 is our guess or a women's xs...or a teens pants size 0. We hit Saver's and grabbed several new pairs of jeans...which must have been donated by the mall, as we found the same ones there for lots and lots more. Our thought is if they don't fit our new Ethiopian Princess...they will still fit our 10 year old soon.

I am sure once we get closer our agency will give us a better idea. But as we have a *general idea* and know she will be home in the spring (early we are hoping)...we just wanted to grab her a few nice things while everything was marked down. Still hoping to find a nice winter coat, just in case she arrives in March. I have to say the Mall sales were great.

Our church does ministry in the mall too! We ask people if we can pray with them...most say yes. Most everyone is willing to let you pray for their troubles. We have seen salvations this way too...and most have gotten *plugged* in (the ones who accepted Jesus as their Savior)...with church (Bible study, fellowship, growth!!!)

As an Evangelist, I love that!

Kimmie@overthemoonwithjoy

Kristen said...

I was wondering about your offer to edit photos. Please let me know how that works...would I just email them to you? Also what is your fee? Please email me at smithsdnk@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Kristen

Adina said...

I've found it's hard to hold my peace if I choose to fill my hands with other things.

Joy Portis said...

You always have such wise words to share and just what I need to hear! LOVE the toilet paper blessings! What a wonderful and special idea!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin