Jan 26, 2010

Kicked Up Breakfast Cereal on the Cheap



At our local grocery, oft times we can buy store brand cornflakes, at buy one get two free. This is just too cheap to pass up, but honestly after awhile it can become monotonous, as a breakfast choice. Of course if there is bananas or fresh fruit, suddenly cornflakes are again embraced by my large brood. Many times however, we are out of fresh fruit for cereal...so in a moment of madness and perhaps winter hum-drums, I decided to give our old cornflakes standby a makeover.
The kids were in bed and I set to work on this simple cereal makeover...
  • I poured the entire box of plain cornflakes into a large mixing bowl.
  • I tossed in a handful of walnuts to up the protein content.
  • In another bowl I added a large handful of raisins, craisins, 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, and a couple tablespoons of honey, tossing to coat thoroughly.
  • Now it is time to add the chocolate coated mix to the cereal, gently mix to combine.
  • I put it all into a large sealable container and set it back into the pantry...awaiting the waking children.
Let me tell you, it was soon discovered and received with much praise and thanksgiving, the next morning.
And my kids, who don't normally eat sweetened cereals, were thrilled to discover that their milk turned to chocolate flavored milk. Oh glorious morning! Maybe your family could use some spruced up flakes too?

4 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Great idea Kimmie. .

Mindy said...

I love hearing all the special things you do to enhance your children's lives. You are inspiring even in the little things.

Expat Mom said...

This is such a neat idea! We don't usually do cornflakes in this house because of Dorian's condition, but I do like to spice up regular cereals. The other day I made oatmeal and I tossed in a handful of flax seeds and another handful of sesame seeds to cook with the oatmeal . . . the boys were so impressed! It really is the little things.

Renata said...

What a fun idea!
We also have the same old cereals (weetbix & porridge) - some sprucing would be nice!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin