Apr 8, 2010

Things I Can Control...


Yesterday, as I went through my day I was feeling rather *out of control.*  You know when your life seems to be in anybodies hands, but your own kind of feeling. 

As I did the normal things I do in my day, I began to find joy in the tiny things I could control, like vacuuming, washing dishes, what I would wear.... but the big things in life were not anything I could touch. 

I couldn't control our trip to get our daughter in Ethiopia.  I couldn't control that my sweet sister in law in going to be having a C section the week I am away.  I couldn't control how long our trip to Ethiopia would be or who will care for my 7 children I'd leave behind.

As I did all of this, my day unfolded into prayer. 

Thanking God for those little things He let me control and asking Him to help me trust Him for those bigger things. 

And you know what, though this *control freak* lost control and had to take hands off, the hands I put together in prayer, became the key that broke the monkey off my chest (where he was trying to sufficate me with pressure I surely didn't want or need).  As I committed it all over to God; Jesus sat beside my Father and prayed with me.  Peace came.  The fear and apprehension vanished. 

Things I realized I could control:

  •  My attitude
  • (Luke 22:42..."yet not my will, but yours be done.") 
  • My own thoughts
  • Psalm 104:34   May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the LORD.

  • My mouth
  • Psalm 19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

  • My actions
  • 1 Corinthians 10:31  So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Walking out my faith is not always easy, but my faith continues to grow as I keep my eyes fixed on Him.  And yes, the devil is spitting mad, as he is losing this battle!

6 comments:

Amrita said...

That 's right Kimmie, I feel this way too many times. Why do I want to be in control, and feel I am letting myself down, or others are letting me down. I have to surrender to the Lord at these times.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I hear ya! Funny thing-the more I try to control things the more details need controlling until I feel out of control.

Also funny how some folks always go with the flow and never want to take control of anything, even when they should!

Julie said...

From a fellow control freak...thanks for this post. I really need to work on controling my mouth, especially with my family:)

Praying for your journey.

Julie

Summer said...

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MUCH OF A CONTROLLING TYPE PERSON HOWEVER I CAN FEEL YOUR ANXIETY HAVING LIVED WITH A PERSON WHO WAS THE CONTROLLING TYPE YEARS BACK..... IT ACTUALLY MADE ME FEEL QUITE NERVOUS TO BE IN THEIR PRESENCE SO I WOULD HAVE TO LET GO OF MY ANXIETIES BY CASTING THEM ONTO THE LORD .....THE LORD SAYS IT BEST IN PHILIPPIANS 4:6-8 "Do not be anxious about anything , but in everything , by prayer and petition , with thanksgiving , present your requests to GOD . And the peace of GOD , which transcends all understanding , will guard your hearts and your minds in CHRIST JESUS ." KIMMIE I WILL PRAY FOR YOU .

Anonymous said...

AHHH yes. Control. The thing that keeps me awake at night.

Miss Janet said...

I see we have a few things in common other than our love for Yeshua!

Control freak - truth teller

Hmmm... very interesting!

Janet

Blog Widget by LinkWithin