Apr 18, 2011

Another one of life's surprises...

I added crocheting into our December homeschool days. 
It was simply a way to slow down and enjoy the month of preparation
for our celebration of Jesus' arrival.  

I got cheap plastic crochet hooks for everyone
and handed everyone a ball of yarn.
Imagine my amazement when I found out not only my daughters
would rock at crochet, but also my son.

Now I didn't use a book to teach them, but just from my heart. 
My mum taught me way back and a few times over the years 
I have pulled out the skill to create something to give.

So my son, took to it.  He decided he wanted to try a hat.

No pattern, 
just an inner drive to figure things out, matched
with a need of having a birthday gift for his oldest sibling. 

In a matter of days 
and a few suggestions given to him by his 9 year old sister, who is a crocheting whiz 
and a few from his Mama
...wallah...
a really cute hat! 

(and yes, he did it all himself!)

One proud boy!

One happy gift giver...
of course we had to see if it would fit before we wrapped it...

(she is our crocheting whiz....
just learned it, but is teaching all of us so many things that just seem to be naturally tucked into her being.)





Opening her card....

Waiting a bit anxiously to see her open his gift.

The gift is opened, 
loved
and immediately worn.

Good job my boy!

14 comments:

Renata said...

Wow Kimmie - he's done a wonderful job on that hat! I imagine your daughter loved it! I always wished I could crochet- I've only ever made a blanket, but that's all I know how to do -I am impressed with your sons efforts!
How are you going? Any updates on your adoption proceedings - I've been praying...
Have a wonderful Easter
Blessings
Renata:)

Valerie said...

Wow! That is so cool. My sister tried to teach me (I am anxious to learn) but lets just say that my results were not as wonderful as your son's.

Leslie said...

What a great job he did! I just love that he wanted to make something special for his big sis.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story and what a clever boy (and what an inspiring Mama!)

Kate xxx

Anonymous said...

Good HEAVENS... to wake up every morning to all those beautiful faces. You are a blessed Mama with a house full of gorgeous, multi-talented children. God is a giver of good gifts! Psalm 113

~KH

Rob said...

Hi Kimmie, what a great gift and skill. That is something that can be both worn and treasured for many years.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I tried to learn from a video. My husband was a natural. Me, not so much. Don't tell his buddies, though ;)

I'm impressed with your son's ability. Great for developing those fine motor skills!

~Julie S

Kathy Cassel said...

it's perfect

Kristine Mullen said...

Woohoo! What a great job he did. Love to see such talent! I have tons of self-help teaching books if they want to borrow them to learn new stitches.

Debbie Doughty said...

Great job! I am so impressed with all the crocheting talent in your home. I've tried 'teaching myself' crochet and knitting through YouTube, but have only ended up feeling frustrated.

Amie said...

That is so sweet! What a lucky big sister.

Michelle said...

Hi Kimmie!!
I have missed you and your family so...

What a great job crocheting! Wish I could have mastered the skill, but I guess I'll have to be content with my knitting. :-) I love the pics, and Pirate Jacky's nails are so cute.

You are a great Mama!!

Annie Chase said...

Just thinking about you and the family this morning. Thought I would drop by and say hi and let you know I'm praying for you. Love, Annie :)

Renee said...

That is AWESOME!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin