Oct 20, 2011

Christian Parenting....Fruit!! (part 1)


A little story for those of you who have time:
(it's a God story!!)

In July I began making jam, after finding some old canning jars that were too lovely not to fill.  I tried many kinds of jams and marmelades, then I moved on to recipes with rhubarb.  But my garden rhubarb didn't yield enough for my need, so I ran to several stores, but alas they had none.  The sun was beginning to fade across the summer sky, when I heard the voice of the Lord

He said, "Go down the road, to the house that has rhubarb growing by the road (in their garden).  Ask if you can buy some from them."

Okay, as my kids were in the car after an afternoon romping at the lake, I told them what God said to me.  I told them I thought it was scary and I didn't think I had the courage to do it.  Got to love my kids, they began yelling, "Yeah, LET'S do it!"

  So I drove past our street and towards the garden a few more miles down the road.  I wasn't sure which house it belonged to, so first I tried the one way in the back.  My 16 year old came by my side, as the others waited with baited breath to see what would happen.  No one came to the door, so I backed out the long driveway and tried the small house closer to the busy road.  

As I knocked at the door (again with my 16 year old daughter at my elbow), a woman came. She was tall and weathered, definitely poor.  I apologized (profusely) and said I was looking to buy some rhubarb, but wasn't having much success at the local stores.  She said, no problem she would happily sell me some.  She called to a man to get her a knife and a bag, he appeared looking very *biker-ish.*  

We walked around the back of the house, winding our way to the garden by the road.  She made small talk very easily and before you knew it she opened not only her garden to us, but also her heart.  She was undergoing treatment for cancer, it wasn't going well.  She was 50 and had already lost her first husband to the disease.  She had also lost all of her teeth from the chemo.  She hadn't even had a cavity.  

She said if we lived in an early time my visit would have been quite ordinary, people then were so different and so friendly with each other.  She said I would have come in to tea and we would have time to visit.

I looked past her current appearance and saw her beautiful heart.  I loved her deeply and her burden became my burden, as she passed me a huge bag of rhubarb.  

I told her I was a Christian and asked her if we could pray for her.  She said, "Yes, I am a Christian too."  My daughter and I lay our hands on her and we prayed as the Spirit had led us." We hugged and thanked her...and went home to make rhubarb.

 BUT
Daily we passed Miss Wendy's house and daily we began to lift her up before God.  Each of my children knew her story, each would remind me (who often was busy with where we were heading) that we Needed TO PRAY FOR MISS WENDY.  Many times it was our youngest (3) who would rally the troops into sweet intercessory prayer on the behalf of Miss Wendy. 

We began in July, now it is October and daily this sweet woman has been blanketed in prayer because of our willingness to step out of our comfort zone and follow the Holy Spirit...


(more of the story next time)


11 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Have you visited with her again? She might be encouraged to hear you all are praying for her.

Stacy said...

This is the BEST story I've heard in awhile, Kimmie! I loved reading this! May you be blessed for listening to God's voice and obeying... oh, how He loves His children: that He would lead you to Miss Wendy all for some stalks of rhubarb. :) I love the way He works!

Rebecca Ann said...

How sweet! God is so so good, this reminds me to pray for older women I know as well who are christians that are fighting desiese. Thank you for sharing Kimmie! this made me want to try with tears of joy, God is too good to us! How wonderful she was able to minister to you and you to her along with your children! Prayer is so powerful and so is our great God!

In Christ,
Rebecca

Karen said...

can't wait to hear the next part of the story!

Annie Chase said...

I'm on the edge of my seat!! ….

Anonymous said...

...amazing what prompting of the Spirit can do...

Valerie said...

love. this.

Covnitkepr1 said...

It's my first visit. You have a great family.
I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

Expat Mom said...

So neat! I bet she'd appreciate some rhubarb preserves, too. ;)

Renata said...

Oh Kimmie ~ I have tears ~ this is just so precious. Bless you dear friend for following HIS voice ~ this is one reason I love reading here ~ the encouragement you give for us to do as the Lord directs no matter what!
Love to you
Renata XO
PS Now I'm eager for the rest of your story!

Mindy said...

I can't believe I missed this post...what a wonderful story. I love hearing when the Lord speaks and His servants listen.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin