Mar 20, 2016

Natural Hair and Adoption


We joke that she has enough hair for at least two people.  Her older Ethiopian sister has said she herself has enough for maybe three people.  It certainly is a mane of glory.  This mama has gotten good at natural hair care, though she grew up only knowing how to care for her own hair type which certainly was not African in any way shape or form. Braids yes, french braids sure, but cornrows or box braids, um no-sir-ree.

God is full of surprises.  He brings you places that you'd never imagine.  I never imagined I would be the mother of two Ethiopian daughters and that they would have enough hair to make tons and tons of box row braids when one sets about to.  I never realized my fingers would move so quickly at parting with a rat tail comb and finding just the right product to make their hair soft and protected.  Or that a hair style could take a couple of hours to complete, never mind undoing it several weeks later.

Rarely do I keep Princess Mercy's hair down (unbraided). I have learned that it quickly shrinks up and tangles and leads to tears and long careful sessions of trying to coax the hair out of knots and nests. A battleground that this mama knows to avoid.  But sometimes this little one just wants a day of freedom and wants to take the risk of a few hours without it being styled.  It always must go into a protective hairstyle by bedtime, which means twists or lose braids, followed by a silk cap to sleep in.

Curly, kinky, beautiful African hair. I smile because I trusted Him enough to say yes. Yes to two beautiful daughters who are so different from me.  He knows how to make it all happen.  My non-African friends ask me 'Who does their hair?'  I smile and I say 'Just me.'  They tip their head and ask me how I know how to do all these things,  that are foreign to so many light skinned mamas.  I grin and explain that what God calls you to, that He enables you to walk in it.  His call, His leading, His help and my following.  

Life is good. Isn't she cute?

And hey..put your name down for my giveaway!  
Time is running short and you'll be so blessed if you are the one who gets picked.  
I think this little one will love to write names down and put them into a basket and draw out the winner.  
We need more names...so please sign up. 
 I am sure you will enjoy it, or can find someone who would love it.

3 comments:

Winkel's Crazy Ideas said...

Such a sweet little girl. God is great isn't He! Blessings, Pam in Norway x

Rob said...

I could do with some of her hair.

Bird's Words said...

Oh I have loved learning how to do Ellie's hair! Such sweet moments spent together, just she and I talking away for hours as I braid (or unbraid!). We bonded through hair, so it's near and dear to my heart. It was one of my greatest fears when we got her referral, and turns out to be a favorite thing of mine. I love how God sees us and hears us right where we are.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin