Jan 24, 2019

Spoon Carving

   
   Carving in front of our study's pellet stove. Which makes a mess as wood chips fly off, but gives me an outlet to let some much needed creative energy to flow. Other seasons I am either outdoors with this passion of mine, or in the barn in quiet solitude.
  
        I wish I knew tree trees better. This is a very hard wood, it has a yellowish hue to it as I carve deeper beneath the bark. I find it a bit easier to handle as it dries out a bit. Ironwood, perhaps.  Smooth grey bark and inner wood harder than oak for sure. I need a tree mentor! 

     After many hours it will become a spoon. Learning to read the wood and which way to remove the parts in pleasing ways to my eye.  Rustic. But I feel that true beauty often is.  Perfection is overrated.

   From fallen branch in my forest yard, to gift unearthed from God to me, a spoon is born out of something most would never stop to notice.

 Yet my heart becomes a vessel of worship as axe, sloyd knife, hooked knife or scorp reveals the hidden jewel beneath the bark. 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin